I have been making several types of chocolate cupcakes for a while now and I realise I haven’t even posted one of them. Like brownie, I tend to try lot of chocolate cup cakes so as to satiate our chocolate craving. Cupcakes are small and mighty and I also easily halve the recipe so as to make a small batch. Usually recipe works fine without any major taste difference at all. Each chocolate cup cake I tried was different in texture, taste, depth of chocolate flavour and different method too. This particular cupcake has mild chocolate flavour, was spongy and soft. I dint ice these as it was sweet enough to eat them without icing. Plus whenever I ice my cakes, my sons just licks all the frosting and have few nibbles off the cake. To avoid that I left the cake un-iced and he had them as it is.
Adapted from Fairy Cakes by Nancy Lambert
Ingredients: (For 6-7 medium cup cakes)
30g dark chocolate
1 medium egg (58g)
75g soft brown sugar
45g slightly salted softened butter (Add a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter)
65g self raising flour
20g ground almonds
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Ingredients: (For 12-14 cupcakes)
60g dark chocolate
2 medium egg (116g)
150g soft brown sugar
90g slightly salted softened butter (Add a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter)
125g self raising flour
30g ground almonds
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1.Preheat the oven to 180 º Celcius/gasmark 4/350 º F. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with muffin cases.
2. Place chocolate and water into a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until chocolate is melted and is smooth. Reserve.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon or electric whisk until soft and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
5. In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, almond powder and mix well using a whisk or sieve the ingredients once.
6. Into the wet mixture, add the dry mixture, followed by the chocolate mixture and using a wire whisk, mix till smooth.
7. Using a tablespoon transfer equal amounts of batter into the muffin cases, filling 2/3rd of the case. Bake the cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean without any crumbs sticking to it.