I got this recipe from a small book that I bought from India long before I started my cooking. I dint have a passion for potatoes and so something like a Urulakkizhangu thoran never even struck my mind. Thoran (vegetable Stir-fries) is regular accompaniment on lunch menu and some or the other thoran is a must. Long back, while preparing the lunch, I couldn’t find anything in my refrigerator shelf for making thoran other than few potatoes. So I was forced to make thoran out of it and surprisingly it was a hit. Since then, Potato thoran is added to my thoran’s list and has become one of the regular thorans at home.
2 medium size potatoes diced (2 cups)
½ cup onion chopped
¼ cup grated coconut
2 green chillies slit lengthwise
½ tsp mustard seeds
2 twigs curry leaves
3-4 tsp coconut oil/vegetable oil
Salt per taste
1. Peel and slice the potatoes into ½ cm thickness. Then dice them.
2. Heat a small sauce pan, add oil. When hot, crackle mustard seeds.
3. Gradually add in green chillies and curry leaves and sauté for few seconds.
4. Add in Chopped onions and sauté for a minute.
5. Add the potatoes and salt and mix well with a spoon and cook it covered until the potatoes are soft.
6. Serve as side dish with plain boiled rice