Wednesday 6 March 2013

Restaurant Style Chicken 65


It looks like it’s been a while that I posted some recipes here. I have plenty of recipes pending in my drafts, I am not sure when I am going to be done with all those. I am caught up with loads of stuff for the past couple of weeks and I am going to be busy for the coming weeks as well. So, I am hoping my posts are going to sporadic, until unless I prioritize blogging over several other things like I used to do before. 
 

Back home, Chicken 65 is one of the most popular starters in an Indian restaurant menu. They are not seen in the menus here somehow, but these are the ones we always order for the starters, if they are available. The Indian restaurants here have very different menus as that to India, something that not only taste different, but looks quite different as well. I have to agree to the fact that, Indian food in Indian restaurants back home tastes so much better than the ones in here.


There are many stories about the origin of this recipe, I am not certain with any of them though. I read that, it uses chicken that is 65 days old. Some says it is the 65th recipe on some restaurant menu. Whatever the story is, all I can tell you is, this is a great, simple and easy chicken recipe with great depth of flavour.

I always believed that we can never recreate the restaurant-like food at home and this recipe proved me wrong. I was quite surprised at its outcome, as it tasted as good as the ones we get in the restaurants if not better. It is not only scrumptious, but equally easy and quick to prepare. The outcome is always juicy, tangy and spicy chunks of meat slathered in goodness! I have already prepared it several times, many a times it being the starters for the party and I got rave reviews for it. I usually prepare it with chicken breast, as it is easy for the little ones to eat, but they are more tasty and tender with meat on bone.



Restaurant Style Chicken 65
Serves about 12-15 as starters
Recipe adapted from Shashirecipes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 mins
 
 Ingredients:
 2 lb, 900g chicken breast, or legs cut into small bite size portions, about 2 inches
 Marinade:
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 Tbsp coriander powder
1 Tbsp Red chilli powder*
½ tsp cumin powder
½ Tbsp Paprika**
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp corn flour
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp lemon juice
few drops of red colour
salt to taste

Others:
½ of a large onion finely chopped, ½ cup
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
2-4 green chillies
1 tsp pepper powder
2 strands of curry leaves finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
Vegetable oil to deep fry

Preparations:
1. Marinate the chicken piece with all the ingredients listed under marinade until the chicken is evently coated and leave it in the fridge for couple of hours or overnight in the refrigerator for the marinade to seep in the meat.

2. Heat oil in a kadai or a large frying pan and pour enough oil to deep fry the chicken. Oil should not be heated to smoking high heat, but retained at a medium heat to cook the chicken pieces.

3. Once the oil is hot, add few chicken pieces in the kadai and let them cook for about 3-4 minutes undisturbed until the bubbles starts to come down. Using a slotted spoon, flip the chicken pieces over and cook for 3-4 more minutes. At a medium heat it just takes about 7-8 minutes to cook each batch, but check the doneness by taking out couple of pieces. Make sure it is cooked through and you don’t see any pink in the middle. Over cooking them can make it hard and chewy, so make sure you cook it for sufficient time to keep it juicy and moist. Once done, drain them in a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.

4. For the tadka, in another oan, add 2 tbsp of oil and throw in chopped onions. Once they trun golden, add in the ginger garlic, curry  leaves and green chilli and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the raw smell fades.

5. Add in pepper powder and coriander leaves and sauté for few seconds and then add the chicken pieces and mix well. Serve hot with rice, chappathis or naans or as starters.

10 comments:

divya deversetty said...

Wowwww... looks super tempting and delicious.. lovely clicks too :)

Vineetha Sush said...

Looks great Shabs..I guess ur little ones birthday is this month ,I remember seeing Ben 10 cake last year,it was when I made my first fondant cake :)

Rafeeda A. Raheem said...

lipsmacking good!!! :)

Raksha said...

Wow, this looks yummy.

Check the below link for a great giveaway:

http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/02/event-and-giveaway-announcement-only.html

Shema George said...

Chicken 65 is one of my favorite dry chicken dishes...it looks very scrumptious...you blog about some really interesting recipes Shabs!!!

shifa said...

on my menu for tonight inshaa allah <3

jehanne said...

I have never come across a nice chicken 65 recipe, so it remains a restaurant favourite that was impossible to recreate at home. So definitely gonna try yours, it's our fav starter too.

shabs said...

Yes vineetha,not only little ones but the husbands n my blogs as well!

zareena said...

Amazing clicks and perfect presentation

Krithi Karthi said...

Wanna pick one right off the screen now! super tempting!

Krithi's Kitchen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...