I prepared this tart after watching the video of Rachel Allen:Bake on UKTVFOOD. I have never made anything similar to this one before and thought of giving it a go. I took the Recipe and its contents from UTVFOOD website. You can also watch the video there. The show is amazing since she present it so well that even a beginner can follow. She makes it so easy and even the complicated stuffs looks so simple and delicious. The tart turned out perfect, it was mild and creamy and kids will love it. It is normally served as lunch or dinner. Quiche Lorraine has a crispy shortcrust base baked and then filled with creamy filling.
Prep: 25 min, plus 30 minutes chilling Cook: 1 hr 15 min
For the shortcrust pastry
200g plain flour, sifted
100g butter, chilled and cubed
a pinch of salt
1 medium egg, beaten
For the filling
1 tbsp olive oil
175g chicken breast, cut into strips
100g onions, peeled and chopped
4 eggs (2 whole, 2 yolks)
250ml double cream
1 tbsp chopped Parsley
1 tbsp chopped Chives
50g Cheddar cheese grated
50g Gruyere Cheese, grated
watch video here.
For the shortcrust pastry:
1. Put the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor and process briefly.
2. Add half the beaten egg and continue to process. (You might add a little more egg, but not too much as the mixture should be just moist enough to come together.) If making the pastry by hand, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Then, using your hands, add just enough egg to bring it together.
3. With your hands, flatten out the ball of dough until it is about 2cm thick, then wrap it in cling film or place it in a plastic bag and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or, if you are pushed for time, in the freezer for 10–15 minutes, before using.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. 5. Line a 19cm high-sided tart tin with the shortcrust pastry and cover the base with baking parchment. Fill the tin with baking beans and bake blind for 15-20 minutes until the edge of the pastry is firm and is just starting to turn golden. . Remove the beans and parchment for the last five minutes until golden
For the filling:
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken strips for 5-6 minutes. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Sweat the onions gently in the same oil for a further ten minutes, or until softened. Keep them aside.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the two whole eggs and two egg yolks in a medium-sized bowl together with the cream, herbs, cheeses, chicken strips and onions. Mix well and season with salt and black pepper.
3. Pour the filling into the pastry base and return to the oven to bake for 30–40 minutes, the top turn golden brown or until the centre has set. Serve warm with a green salad.