Friday 31 October 2008

Fish mollee/Fish molly (A mild fish curry in thick coconut milk)

This is going be my last post before I go to Abu-Dhabi to pay a visit to my family and my friends. Iam planning to travel on november 2nd and should be there for a couple or months. I don't really know how much of blogging I will be able to do from there, but sure, I will come back with a bunch of my mother's delicious recipes.

I had fish mollee for the first time at my friend Z’s house when we went there for the Iftar party. There were around 15 people for the party and this curry was a super hit of that day. The curry was so delicious and everybody was drooling over. Its very easy to make. Here goes her recipe:

Fish mollee
Serves 4

Ingredients:
500 -600 gm Fish cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
½ cup chopped onion
1 medium size tomato
1 ½ tsp black pepper powder
¾ tsp turmeric powder
1 ½ cup thin coconut milk
½ cup thick coconut milk
2-4 Green chillies split lengthwise
4 cloves
2 small piece cinnamon sticks
3 sprigs Curry leaves
½ tsp plain flour
½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
Salt as required
Oil – As required

Preparation
1. Marinate fish in 1 tsp pepper powder,1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt and keep aside for 20 minutes.
2. Heat a pan and add litttle oil. Shallow fry the fish slightly until partially cooked. Drain them on kitchen towel.
3. Heat another saucepan, add 2 tbs of oil and add cloves and cinnamom. When the aroma of the spices starts to come off, add onion and sauté until golden. Add tomato, pepper powder, turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder,green chillies, plain flour and curry leaves and sauté until the tomato goes soft.
4. Add thin coconut milk and boil for around 5 minutes. Add fish to this and boil for further 3 minutes. Add thick coconut milk and boil for another two minutes.

Serve hot with chappathi, puri and plain boiled rice.

Notes:
My friend Z had added capsicum and I really liked the taste of it. So I also added ½ of a medium size red capsicum diced at step 3 along with other ingredients. But that’s purely optional


12 comments:

Tina said...

Hi kothiyavune......angu poratte.....

Shabs.. said...

You are always welcome tina:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shab...I just came across u'r blog n i was drooling over u'r pictures....Gud recipes!So U must b already in Abudhabi now...i'm also in Abudhabi...

Shabs.. said...

Thanks zareena....m back to uk now:)Isnt Abudhabi so cool?I love it there.take care.

Anonymous said...

hi ithatha...i am feeling xtremely hungry....hope u will make and send me somthng n parcel...its boring ya....

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous. Your recipe is even better than what I've eaten in Kerala.

I tweaked your recipe a bit: I added potatoes (boiled them first before adding) since this is how it was served in India and I replaced the regular tomato with cherry tomatoes (much more flavorful with a bit of tartness), and I generously sprinkled fresh lemon basil and parsley on top to serve. Delicious! Claudia

Shabs.. said...

Thanks Claudia for ur lovely comments:)Im glad u liked the recipe...

Sam said...

I like fish...Fish curry looks so beautiful! so delicious! Thanks so much for sharing.

Shabs.. said...

thx sam..

Aural said...

Really it's very simple to try out, but the result far surpasses it. Truly tasty to the eyes & tongue! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Can I use fish fillet?? Which fillet will b tasty?

Shabs.. said...

Yes you can. You can use any fish like tuna, salmon, king fish,tilapia, sea bream etc....anything literally.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...