mutton - cut into pieces -1/2 kilo
ginger -1 inch piece
garlic -4-5 cloves
yogurt -3 tablespoonful or half cup
Red lentils(masoor dal)-1/2 cup
onions- thinly sliced - 1 cup
garam masala - 1 tsp
chilli powder -1 1/2 tsp
coriander powder -1 1/2 Tbsp
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
salt - as required
chopped coriander for garnishing- around 2 tablespoons.
1) Grind ginger and garlic to paste and marinate the meat with ginger-garlic paste and yogurt and leave for 2 hours.
2) Soak dal in water for about an hour.
3) Heat ghee/oil in a deep pan or kadai and deep fry the onions till golden brown and crisp. Drain onions out of the hot ghee with a slotted spoon, and keep aside. Fried onions
4)Heat another sauce pan,add little oil(around 2-3 tablespoons). Add meat mixture in same pan and saute at very high heat until the meat is opaque.Lower the heat, add garam masala, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt, and simmer. Sprinkle little water to avoid the spices sticking to the bottom.
5) Drain dal(lentils) and add to the meat. Stir-fry a few times, add 2-3 cups hot water. Bring to boil, then simmer over low heat till Dal is cooked through. You can also pressure cook mutton,as it takes quite long time for the mutton to get cooked. When pressure cooking,add less amount of water. Optionally,You can also cook dal separately,mash them and add to the cooked mutton and simmer well before adding the blended onions.
6) Grind the onions to a paste with the help of a little water, and add to the meat. Cook some more till well blended, and serve garnished with the coriander leaves and fried onions...
Its delicious and worth a try...Enjoy!